Thursday, March 19, 2009

Jet Rock Bar and Grill: the buffalo chicken sandwich reinvented


So a few days ago I sat in the airport where I ate at a place called The Jet Rock Bar and Grill. The restaurant is located in terminal B, near gate 2, of the Philadelphia Airport. One would not assume much from this unsuspecting little restaurant. Inside there are about 15 booths and 12 tables (as well as a bar). But after you get your food you will understand why I felt it a must to say something about this place. I started off with the traditional glass-of-water appetizer which contained the most flavorful tap water I had ever tasted. To top it off, the glass had ice and a lemon slice.
After drinking my water, I waited for my waitress and thought that nothing could top that delicious H2O, but then I had the famous buffalo chicken sandwich with a beer (Anchor Brewing Liberty Ale). There is not much to this dish; simply chicken, buffalo sauce, blue cheese, hoagie roll, served with a side of fries and a single pickle. But these four ingredients have been modified from their modern brethren. For one, the hoagie is a cut into two pieces, so you basically have two sandwiches, and it's drenched in buffalo sauce. Secondly the cheese is no mere blue cheese, but bits of blue cheese in a dressing that melts in your mouth and mixes with the buffalo sauce that drenches the chicken when they serve it to you. I can not describe how good the combination of these four ingredients is!
The only disappointing aspect of the evening was the serving of fries. The fries were just not as flavorful as the other dishes.  The second beer made up for that though.
The bottom line is that if you are looking for a great place to eat in Philadelphia, this is it. Whether it is for a date, a long layover, or just a fun, unique evening out in the Airport, you can not beat this little eatery in the heart of the Terminal B. Reservations not required.

3 comments:

  1. nice. Your prose rival some of literature's best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you sure the food wasn't extra good because you were starving. I don't know about you, but whenever I fly, I'm always hungry in the terminal...
    -Elliot

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think elliot missed the point...

    ReplyDelete