Friday, November 26, 2010

Flowchart Blogging

This is a "hello, it's been a while" post so it will have a wide breadth of topic and thin grasp on organization. I've created a flowchart to help you navigate it and make the most fruitful use of your time possible.

FLOWCHART!!!
Flowchart
Yes the flowchart is clickable, try it!

The Jump!
First off, I've messed around with our template code a little bit to make our blog just a bit more professional. The first change is that our template is now compatible with jump breaks. Follow the jump to read more!

So for now on when we write especially long posts (ahem, Tim), we can start it off with an introduction that will show up on the main page, and then put the rest of the post after the jump. This way we can maximize the number posts visible to our readers on our home page without them having to scroll way down the page. More opportunities to draw them in with fancy flowcharts then keep them hooked to the end. The article that I linked before the break describes how this works. However, I'm not seeing the convenient Insert Jump Break button that it describes as I write this, but you can easily click on the Edit Html tab and just type "<!-- more -->" wherever you want the break.

Second, all of our pages now have an official looking page title (displayed at the top of your browser). And finally, I've added a description that shows up in search results, and also has the added effect of bumping our home page up when you search for "Stadium 110" in google. (Previously a bunch of really old posts showed up, and the home page not at all. Now the home page comes up second, but we could probably make it first by putting "Stadium 110" in a few more places on our home page.) Note: this won't effect where we show up in the results for "climbing and walking robots free book", "milk pete holmes taiwan", "maddie hursh is a slut", or "nakedblackman at party" (yes, these are all real searches that somehow led to this blog, and, if we are so very lucky, will someday again).

Hiladorablious
So Captain Morgan has this guy, there was also a real Sailor Jerry. So is there an historical First Mate Charlie? I don't really know, but maybe it's this guy. I know the wikipedia article only says "commander" and "second mate" in the intro, but he was also a first mate for a while. Actually if you read further you see he was the first mate for the Titanic's sea trials, during which the Titanic did NOT hit an iceberg and sink on his watch, which makes him a damn sight better than eventual first mate William Murdoch. Also, though Wikipedia won't print it, there is strong evidence that Murdoch had a bit too much of Ol' Charlie Lightroller's engine-distilled rum on the night of the crash. Read more about First Mate Charlie >>

Life Update
Let's see here, what's new? I guess after getting used to swimming taking up such a huge part of my life for so long there's kind of a hole that needs filling. I still swim sometimes to stay in shape, but it's really hard to do for more than about an hour at a time without a team. So instead I've been doing a little volunteer coaching for the swim team here at Rochester. It's been pretty good so far. I help out with practices a couple times a week, mostly working with kids on technique, and go to the meets when I can. I've also joined the water polo club. I never had a chance to play before, and thought it was probably a good thing for a washed up swimmer to try (along with triathlons). The club isn't very serious at all and only practices twice a week, which works well for me. And for those of you that haven't tried it, being good at water polo and being good at swimming certainly don't equate, though obviously certain skills do carry over. So it's been fun learning to play, and it's cool to still be able to join clubs etc. with undergrads.

Right now I'm still in Rochester for the Thanksgiving holiday, which was a little sad since it was the first year not celebrating with my family. But I managed to make turkey, stuffing, and pie and enjoy it with a few people that are still around for the weekend. It was still delicious. I hope everyone else had a happy Thanksgiving!

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe I am the first to comment on this. Ted this is excellent work. I appreciate you taking the time to demonstrate the thought process of our blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.
    Impressed and enlightened.
    Well done, Tedley.
    Don't know if I'll be able to do it, but I will try it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was actually what I was looking for, and I am glad to came here! Thanks for sharing the such information with us.

    ReplyDelete