Sunday, March 15, 2009

Reflections on the term


I've yet to post anything meaningful to this blog (unless you count semi-political gossip meaningful) so I figured that I would try to add something that was at least more than two lines. Quantity = quality in my book, so I think an epic post comprised of reflections on the past term would be, at the very least, not boring.

BK and Marky Mark agree with me - winter term usually sucks. Ted didn't respond because of Call of Duty, but we'll just go ahead and say that he agrees with me as well. Winter term is pretty much guaranteed to suck. But, for some reason, or for a few different reasons maybe, this winter term did NOT suck. In fact, it was great. Furthermore, I think everyone in the Ocho would agree with me on this sentiment. Maybe it was even better than fall term (but certainly not better than this coming spring).

So why does winter term always suck? In no particular order:
  1. It's cold out.
  2. The days are shorter.
  3. Everyone always seems to have more work (i.e. comps)
  4. Nobody wants to go anywhere (see #1). This affects the social vibe on campus, and you get sick of people.
  5. It's sort of like sophomore year - you're not close to being done, and you're not even excited about the novelty of being at school. You're stuck in the middle. It's like a Tuesday, but ten weeks long.
  6. It's pretty damn chilly.
Why did this term not suck? Corresponding with the previous list:
  1. It was really only cold one week this term. Granted, it got to about -40 with the windchill, and we couldn't really afford to go outside for any length of time. The rest of the time, it seemed like winter didn't really happen. We had some snow and that wasn't the best, but for the most part we just kinda chilled with 20 degree weather, played some hockey, badminton, etc and enjoyed ourselves. By we, I mean me. Everyone else here just swam all the time (but they don't think the term sucked either, so I think there's something to this).
  2. The days were still shorter. That didn't change. But, maybe, just maybe, the beauty of the UV lights that were installed in Stadium 110 actually illuminated the dark days and made them feel longer, warmer, and brighter.
  3. While a lot of people had work, it didn't seem to get in the way. Or if it did, we all seemed to have a different perspective on it. We did our work, then came back and chilled. Nobody got too stressed. Except maybe Ted. But Ted had a lot of work, so that's excused. And I guess Toto didn't really come back sometimes. And now he's sitting here playing Call of Duty so he's not stressed anymore.
  4. While not wanting to go anywhere usually causes a problem, this wasn't an issue for The Ocho. The reasoning is simple: we lived with the people with whom we wanted to chill. Instead of having to trek across campus to go sip a brew, we stayed in Stadium and enjoyed the company of friends (and UV lights, bitches!).
  5. While this winter term was like every other winter term in that it was in the middle of fall and spring, it felt different. Maybe it's that it's senior year and our time here is fleeting. Or maybe this term just didn't suck.
  6. It wasn't that chilly, as established in #1.
Nonberg disagrees with my sentiments: "Winter term doesn't suck. It's what you make of it!" So, I guess maybe we just made good of winter term. Circumstances help.

Other highlights of winter term:
  • First Mate Charlie
  • Reinstallation of Tetris Attack
  • Swimming
  • Mark says UV lights again
  • Conference Party
  • Almost dying
  • Midwinter Ball
  • Black Lights, White T's, BK, Caribou Lou
  • Starting the blog
  • Prospect of Stadium seating
  • Finishing comps
  • TASTE THE RAINBOW ("this is the most fun I've ever had at Carleton!")

4 comments:

  1. You guys have way too much time on your hands, over there in Siberia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think Winter terms usually suck necessarily, they just suck compared to fall and spring. I think I enjoyed fall term better, but it's true that this winter term didn't totally suck.

    As for your specific reasons this winter term didn't suck. I take issue with number 1/6. This winter term was cold, in fact I believe it was colder than the last 3. The last couple weeks were nice, but look at January for example.

    As for starting the blog, you're right, that was sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim I don't know why your avoiding explaining that the reason this term was so great was because I came back and was your roommate. I'm sure explaining this might have made you nervous but it's okay DADDY IS HERE NOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. soooo "thundersnow" and negative 2 on MARCH 9 is good weather these days?

    ReplyDelete