Thursday, April 30, 2009

First Mate Charlie: An American Hero


You might be wondering who this First Mate Charlie character is, since he has been mentioned in the Stadium 110-blog discourse so often. Well he is a good friend of ours who often stops by to hang out. But you may not have met him yet. Hopefully sharing my own experiences and interactions with Charlie will shed some light on your ignorance.

SO I first met First Mate Charlie on the night of BK's going away party. It was a blacklight-lit situation and so his garb looked even more out of place. He introduced himself as Charlie. I filled up his beer and went on my way.

About 30 minutes later, I hear loud shouting in our hallway. I go over and take a peek at what is going on, assuming that it is either some of the freshman acting like wild animals or maybe a fight over a spilled drink. What do I see when I finally find the source of the excitement? I see my newly acquainted friend, Charlie, with a typical bro in a headlock. I walked up to the situation, with a drunken curiosity, and asked what the problem was. Charlie says" the scurvy bloke" (his words, not mine) insulted the Captain. I had no idea what was going on, but without the blacklights on him, I finally realized that he was wearing a sailor's costume (or what I thought was a costume). The boy said he was just talking about how his mixed drink had a little too much Capt. Morgans in it. Charlie quickly rebutted, "You can never have too much rum." And with that, he dropped the little Dave Matthews Band-lovin kid on the floor and whipped out a bottle of what looked like rum, but didn't have a label on it, so I couldn't tell. He handed the bottle over to me and I took a swig, quelling my fears of odorless, tasteless, and colorless drugs.

Twas incredible. For the next 45 min, Charlie, who I later found out was a First Mate of a small ship that sails the great lakes, educated me in the ways of rum and of nautical themed alcoholic beverages. It was fascinating. Admiral Nelson, Capt. Morgan, Ron Diaz, Malibu, Cruzcan, The. List. Goes. On.

And then he was gone. Up and out - just like that. Probably went to off to sail a schooner in the cannon.

Now he left me a bottle of his own rum. And like I said before, its exquisite. I love me some rum, and when you give me some cherry cola and a bottle of F.M.C., I'll be good as gold.

We hope to have a party in his honor. We want to sail the 7 seas of Rum. Pirates and Sailors. If your interested in this theme, talk to me and we'll make it happen.

So if you see someone who looks like the picture above walking around campus, just send him over to Stadium because he's probably too drunk to realize what is going on. We'll take care of him.

Also, he sometimes runs around in onesie like mine. Be on watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment