Thursday, April 30, 2009

WHY?

So this post has nothing to do with Moscow, but I felt that it was time to express my frustration at the monumental fall that one of the greatest loves of my life has taken. I am referring, of course, to the 13th season of South Park.
I've been able to keep up on South Park thanks to the publication of each new show online, and I have been faithfully watching each new episode for the last few weeks.
This season has been by far the worst one of all time. Let me go by each episode I've watched so far.
Episode 1: The Ring. This episode is about Kenny and his new girlfriend and how they get purity rings because of the Jonas Brothers. The highlight of this episode is a giant, cursing Mickey Mouse spewing fire. This episode ranks in the top episodes of this season. However, it would still be one of the worst episodes in, say, season 6. Rating: 7/10
Episode 2: The Coon. Wow. This episode was a monstrous failure. It could have been hilarious, but instead it was an annoying play on Cartman's personality. The concept was great, but the execution was poor. This was the episode that I REALLY wanted to like, but didn't. 5/10
Episode 3: Margaritaville. This episode makes good points, but never seems to know what it wants to say. Good play on the Christ story. It made good points on the stupidity of wasteful spending, but in the end it doesn't quite wrap up. The method that the goverment uses to decide what to do with failing companies is quite funny. 7/10
Episode 5: Fishsticks. The best episode of this season, so far. Cartman is spectacularly horrible, and Kanye West is properly put in his place. Also Carlos Mencia is killed in a manner that I found suitable (I hate him) and the final song is an excellent parody of Kanye's music. 9/10
Episode 6: Pinewood Derby. Close. It gets off to a great start and has a great end, but the middle of the episode is too lame. Again, so much more could have been done with this concept. It isn't like South Park to have great plot ideas but to fail on filling them with humor. 7/10
Episode 7: Fatbeard. Worst South Park episode of all time. Complete failure from top to bottom. Didn't laugh once. I wondered at points if it was written by Matt and Trey. The character dialogue was based on lame, loose characterizations, the plot was uninvolving, and Cartman's dialogue was the worst I can remember. I can't believe they put this out. 1/10
Now, it is true that the majority of these episodes are 7/10. However, I have never before seen a 1/10 episode, and most previous seasons are all 8/10 or abover. This season just doesn't have the sheer humor that the others have had. Thankfully it is only half over and there is plenty of time for them to turn around. The last episode just brought it to the forefront how far South Park has fallen in the last few years.

Anyway I'm going to St. Petersburg on the night train tonight. I'll post about it when I get back Monday night.

6 comments:

  1. You should give "Fatbeard" 2/10 just because of the conversation between Kyle and Cartman:

    Kyle and Cartman: Because Jews Can't Be Pirates
    Cartman: Yes of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will agree with you that the pirate episode sucked. BUT, I have a HUGE disagreement with the Coon episode. I would give that episode a 10/10. I love the watchmen/batman spoof. I think it's great.

    Also, the quief/queef episode is very funny. Have you not seen it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I REALLY liked the coon. It wasn't a typical southpark episode.

    But i was laughing uncontrollably...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kind of liked the pirate episode...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Missed Queef, and it won't be online for a few more days cuz they changed their streaming rules (also lame).
    And I think I was alone in disliking the Coon. I just had higher expectations.
    I think they're taking their midseason break, and the second half of 12 was better than the first. So we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just saw Queef. Awesome. Brings the season almost to the level of Season 12. The Pirate episode was still just way too bad.
    Road Warrior Queef=me laughing for 5 minutes.

    ReplyDelete