Sunday, February 27, 2011

Live Blogging the Oscars

I'm hanging out watching the Oscars and decided hey, what better than to post my immediate reactions to everything? So I'm starting late, but I'll summarize the first bit.
James Franco and Anne Hathaway are terrible hosts. Several presenters have upstaged them handily.
I'm very glad Christian Bale got an Oscar, he's had one coming for awhile and this role was certainly deserving. I was hoping to see Hailee Steinfeld win the supporting actress, but she's young. The Fighter has been sweeping the acting so far.
I'm so pumped that Trent Reznor won best soundtrack, electronic music doesn't often get recognized and his soundtrack for The Social Network has been on the top of my iPod for some time.
Aaron Sorkin definitely deserved best adapted screenplay, but that was a crowded field this year. The Coen Bros. had an awesome screenplay as well.
I really like the speeches for the small awards because I think they're the most deserving winners. Susanne Bier gave an awesome acceptance speech for best foreign film, I need to check "In A Better World" out.
OK, here we are to real time.
8:57
The Wolfman won an Oscar. WTF. It may be makeup, but seriously, it has 33% on Rotten Tomatoes.
9:16
Luke Matheny has the best haircut I've ever seen. He directed God Of Love, which won best short. Awesome speech. I don't think many film school students win Oscars... I just looked him up, God Of Love was his thesis! I bet he got an A.
9:21
Inside Job wins best doc. I haven't seen it so I can't really judge, but I'm kind of disappointed Restrepo didn't win. I guess the financial crisis is a timely deal, but Restrepo is the best documentary on a war I've ever seen.
9:35
Film Editing. What a strong field this year. The Social Network deserved it, the rowing scene alone was worthy of the Oscar. But it's a pity that Black Swan and 127 Hours had to be turned down. I guess that's what happens when you have Aronofsky, Fincher, and Boyle competing at what, in my opinion, they are the 3 best at.
9:47
Best Song goes to Toy Story 3. I only mention this because Randy Newman has been nominated 20 times and won twice. Most noteworthy, he lost for "You've Got A Friend In Me," which I feel is the most known of his songs, at least, I don't remember the song in Toy Story 3.
10:02
Best Director. My favorite award. AGH! The King's Speech won!? Aronofsky totally deserved this one, at least we can predict which movie is going to win Best Pic now. I guess I should actually watch The King's Speech now, if he managed to beat Aronofsky, Fincher, AND the Coen Bros.
10:14
Jeff Bridges is again the classiest man in Hollywood. His introductions of best actresses was fantastic. Natalie Portman wins, no surprise there.
10:22
So sick of the Facebook jokes. Again with The King's Speech. I'll watch it. I generally dislike films that idealize monarchy, but who knows. One of my roommates says that films about British monarchs are to movies what cats are to the Internet.
10:32
Best Picture. Good year for movies. Good intro by Spielberg. They've used so much music from Black Swan, aka. non-original music tonight. My pick: a tie between Black Swan, 127 Hours, and The Social Network. The winner: The King's Speech.
In retrospect: by my count, The King's Speech won 4 Oscars, but they were all the major ones. The Social Network and Inception split the technical awards, which was to be expected. 127 Hours was winless, which is a pity. Boyle did a great job with a film that is seemingly the opposite of what would be a good movie. But, he won a lot two years ago. Fincher and Aronofsky are still winless directors! This was a good year for movies, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the best foreign films. I'm curious what you guys all thought, comment on this year's films below.

4 comments:

  1. I agree that Franco and Hathaway were pretty terrible, they should have gotten Ricky Gervais.

    I haven't seen 127 Hours or Black Swan, but I can say that The King's Speech certainly wasn't undeserving. Between The King's Speech and The Social Network I'd probably go with the former, but it's close, and that might just be because I saw it more recently.

    Also, there are no three-way ties in the Oscars, make a pick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ricky Gervais was ridiculous at the Golden Globes. He would have rocked
    And fine, I pick Black Swan. I've never had that much of an emotional reaction to a film, it pulls you into Nina's insanity and never lets you go. I probably wouldn't want to see it again, but the intensity of that film is something that is very difficult to accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't watch due to comps and my radio show, so thank BK, this makes me not feel bad about missing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Each film represents a different artistic vision. It's hard for me, now more than ever, to accept the Oscars as some governing body that validates films. Why wasn't Tron nominated for Best Visual Effects?
    Why did the social network win for best editing and True Grit did not?
    I like watching the show, its just more a spectacle than anything else at this point. Sorry to be emo about all of this, but its tough for me accept the "academy" a member of which who is my now unemployed neighbor. As the voice of what films and actors/actresses are worthy enough of the award.

    ReplyDelete