Saturday, March 6, 2010

Breaking Radio Silence

Alright, to be a contributor I may actually have to contribute something to this once in a while. I mean, shit, even Alfredo’s posted more than me in recent memory. So what’s been going on in my life lately?

My semester kicked off with an American Astronomical Society conference at a super nice Marriott in D.C. (I dare say even nicer than the Sans Souci and ESJ Towers). I mean, there was a meeting for “Grad Student Networking” where there were ten or twelve tuxedoed silent waiters with white gloves wandering around distributing hors d'oeuvres from giant platters. As someone who’s been eating a lot of Panda Express lately, I enjoyed this thoroughly. We also had a generous per diem from PSU, so dining out was highly encouraged. And good thing—I ran into Katie Magoon at our first dinner there. She told me she was there for a job interview. I assume she did not mean at the restaurant. Anyway, my point here is that I was feeling pampered for the four days I was there, which was a nice change of pace from the characteristic exploitation of graduate student life.

This event also happened to be the largest gathering of astronomers in recent memory, and it was really fun to be at the center of the action there. I doubt that I can claim the title of “astronomer” yet, but there was an oversupply of real astronomers, interesting talks, cool posters, and swag (posters, laser pointers, usb sticks, etc). This was all made better by the fact that we didn’t have to contribute anything. Usually attendance at these conferences (and associated funding) implies that you are at least presenting a poster about what you’ve been doing. Not so for my fellow first years and me—the department paid for us to go “just for the experience.” We were scientific freeloaders. And it was awesome. Besides, we’re not scientifically productive yet (that starts this summer), we just learn things people already know.

So, after a few days of science and nights of hotel room parties, we concluded with a big party at a place called Club Heaven and Hell (suspiciously similar to a certain gathering at Carleton). We had the entire place reserved, so it was effectively astronomers-only, which you might imagine to be awkward and unfun. You must not know many astronomers, because this was not the case, at least in Heaven. Astronomers, evidently, know how to have fun. And drink.

So if you ever get the chance to go to an academic conference, I would advise that you do it. And if that conference happens to be in D.C., do not try to take the Metro during rush hour with your luggage. Big mistake.

So that’s all I’m going to write for now, I’m a very slow writer and I have other things I want to do now. I have more to say soon. A few quick notes though:

-Spring break is starting, and Ted and I are driving around to NY and DC… we will see many awesome people and this will be fun.

-I have indeed taken a keen interest in a certain scuba girl lately. However, she is a long way away right now and it may be some time before things develop further. Still curious how you figured that out, Marky mark. Is my phone bugged?

Have fun with the end of the term there, Carletonites. And know the glories of the semester schedule: I will be done with classes (including a week of finals) before my birthday on May 8th.

Also, major props to Mr. Brenner.

2 comments:

  1. http://www.theonion.com/content/video/nasa_scientists_plan_to_approach

    You mean astronomers aren't like this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naturally, the question is: if we pointed Hubble at Earth could we really use it for such shady purposes? Sadly, it would only be able to see detail at a scale of 15cm. Even better, this is about the capability of the KH 11 spy satellites the US gov had in orbit as early as the 70s. Think how much better they must be now. I'd say it's a fair bet that the government is masturbating furiously to pictures of you right now, BK.

    ReplyDelete