Sunday, April 15, 2012

Online Dating: A Story of Intrigue and Failure

I have been gone for awhile. I have no excuse good enough to justify how long it has been since I have contributed. Here's to new beginnings.

So awhile back, I posted about how I had signed up for online dating on OK CUPID. In the coming months, the dates I went on and the people I met were, well, interesting to say the least. But that is not the point of this post. This particular story of online dating is about the failure, maybe it's my failure to build a meaningful relationship sparked by the internet.

Now before you go "Dammit Nonberg, you are getting emotional and love is possible over the world wide web.". I get it. I understand that people can meet, but hear me out.

1. Meeting Someone you started chatting with based off a picture and some paragraphs about themselves is one of the more unnerving experiences I have ever had. Moreover, it never helps that the picture posted bears no resemblance to the person you saw on the internet. I don't know if people who online date are masters in Photoshop, or their pictures just don't accurately depict what they look life in real life. I have been met by disappointment in this facet of online dating many a time.

2. OK CUPID tends to be the luggage compartment beneath an airplane. I mean everyone has some sort of baggage, or so it seemed. It could range from religious, personal, or other unexplainable baggage, but the bottom line is that every date was a lesson in psychology. I'm not saying I'm not without my flaws, but as my roommate put it. "There is a reason some of these people are into online dating"

3. Ultimately and maybe obvious to someone like me, online dating will never work. I am not saying one can not be successful with online dating. Heck I know a couple of guys and girls who have had wonderful experiences, but at the end of the day, there is just an inorganic nature to interweb socializing.

I have stopped online dating and I don't have any real plans to go back. I just think there are too many people to meet outside the walls of my apartment and not on the screen of my MacBook.

6 comments:

  1. Hey keep posting such good and meaningful articles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an extremely smart written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and return to learn extra of your useful information. Thank you for the post. I will certainly return.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the precise weblog for anybody who needs to seek out out about this topic. You notice so much its almost arduous to argue with you. You positively put a brand new spin on a subject that's been written about for years. Nice stuff, simply nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great article, Thanks for your great information, the content is quiet interesting. I will be waiting for your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am extremely impressed along with your writing abilities, Thanks for this great share.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blogging is the new poetry. I find it wonderful and amazing in many ways.

    ReplyDelete