Monday, August 15, 2011

"How I Spent My Summer Vacation" Pt. 1

For me, Summer is officially over. Last Saturday, I finished my job as Summer Camp Program Director and am back in my hometown for some R&R until my new position starts in 12 days. For the first time since May, I can take a deep breath, relax, and slow my pace down to something more humane.

Although Carleton’s graduation wasn’t until mid-June, my summer felt like it officially started in May with my trip out west to the Sasquatch Music Festival. I want to go back further however and reflect on my senior spring term, as well as some of the awesome things I got to experience in the last 4 or 5 months. So, without further ado. Let’s start my “How I Spent My Summer Vacation” series with a recap of my Senior Spring Term.



SPRING TERM
It all started with a bang. The first day of the term was the day that I not only ended a relationship with a significant other, I also heard the news that they had found Joe’s car. It was an extremely rough way to start the term. Luckily, one of my housemates, Dinger had brought her dog, Tucker, to college for the week while her parents were on a vacation. I now fully believe in Animal Therapy. The following day, I didn’t want to head into campus. In fact, I didn’t want to see or talk to anyone. So I just walked Tucker around Northfield and played catch with him around town. It was really nice. It sucked when he had to leave.

Did I mention I wasn’t enrolled in classes this past spring? It was awesome. Having finished my comps and all my graduation requirements, it seemed like the best financial decision for my family and I. I decided to get my money’s worth though: I tried to audit a class: "Visions of California" taught by Mike Kowalewski in the English Department. It was awesome - I only went to 1 or 2 classes a week, but still learned some really cool stuff about California. I also took the Diving P.E., taught my Sydney, Terra and Erin. That was pretty fun too! I also took this Swim Class that Brooke offered during Common Time. Usually it was just Louise, Erin McDufflebag and myself.


In between all of that, I helped plan Easter Saturday, went to the Pizza Barn a lot, did the synchro show, went to the elko speedway, read on the bald spot a bunch, went to several comps talks/presentations, played a few games of century pong, did some data entry for a friend’s sibling, BBQ-ed, was a ref for Rotblatt, and prepared for my summer job.

The weather sucked for the first half. It reminded me of my freshman year spring. But when it did finally get good, we made sure to take advantage of it. It was a great Spring Term overall. It had highs and lows and more lows than my spring terms past – so I can’t say it was perfect, but it was a still a Carleton Spring Term, which is better than most things.


Still to come:
The Final Push (Rotblatt, Spring Concert, Senior Week, Graduation)
My Seattle Visits (Sasquatch and Joe’s Funneral)
Running a Summer Camp
Returning Home before the Real World Begins


Until Next Time,
MOLSON OUT.



No comments:

Post a Comment