Sunday, August 21, 2011

"How I Spent My Summer Vacation" Pt. 2

THE FINAL PUSH
I've been joking with friends and family that I feel like I've had a sleep deficit since Rotblatt. And that's because from Rotblatt to Graduation, I was sincerely trying to milk Carleton for all its worth. I slept very little, but I think I truly lived up those last weeks on Campus. So without further ado, lemme share some highlights from Rotblatt, Spring Concert, Senior Week, and Graduation.



Rotblatt
I was honored to be a Referee for the 145th Rotblatt. It was seriously one of the cooler things I've done at college. The structures that were in place from years past made it really easy to run and organize. And being able to choose the shirt and colors was pretty crazy too. It was chaos. like 25-ish young adults in the classroom debating which design goes well with which colors, and which colors are good foils against each other... it definitely got pretty heated at times.


On the holy day, it rained. It was a cold, rainy mess. It put a little bit of a damper on the day, but my beer buzz blanket kept me goin strong. There was one point in the day (11am) when there were so few people that we were considering moving it to tomorrow, but then people started to come back and it ended up being awesome again. All day we were worried about the NoPos, only because of a new social host ordinance that was passed DAYS before Rotblatt Saturday. A cop did come for a brief check-in (they asked what inning it was and then left), the Refs manned their stations, and all went well. The Chair of the Board of Trustees stopped by (as did some other older alumni), which was awesome. It wasn't a picturesque Rotblatt, but it was a LOT of fun and still a great time.


Spring Concert
So Rotblatt happened and then the following Wednesday, my Spring Concert weekend began. My dear friend Chuck (who Tim foundly refers to as, Gooch) megabused up to MN for a long weekend. That night we went to Mai Fete, saw Bk's Bowie Cover Band play at the Cave, and ate some pizza. Don't remember what we did that day all that much, but in the evening we drove our asses up to Uptown in Minneapolis to join up with the a few of the Ocho who was arriving or had arrived already to BBQ and head out to the bars. I had so much more fun on this evening out on the town that I expected I would. GOOD TIMES. Then the next mornin we drove down back to NoFo, tapped the keg, went to the senior athlete banquet while the alums all drank in the casa, ordered 10 pizzas on Carleton's dime and threw a rager. The next day was Spring Concert, and I still remember when we were all shotgunning outside when we saw a patch of blue sky coming our way towards Allen house. It was a sign of things to come, because the day was BEAUTIFUL weather. Totally awesome. REAL great music too. Awesome acts. Definitely an amazing Spring Concert. While I had a little too much to drink (stupid Asia security making me chug my bandit), it was still an AWESOME weekend full of great memories.


Senior Week
Senior Week was unreal. Now I've enjoyed senior weeks in years past when I was younger, and they were fun and all... but nothing compares to your own. It was such a care-free, life-loving atmosphere. Erin's dog, came back down and chilled with us for the week, WHICH WAS AWESOME. So every morning, we'd wake up hungover, put tucker on a leash, walk to the LDC for some free brunch (which was higher quality food than usual), go back home, jump on the trampoline that Brenner brought down at set up for Senior Week, float down the river, BBQ and then start drinking/ getting ready for the evening's activities (Prom, Frunzwick Brunzone, Karaoke at the Reub, etc). Every day was pretty similar, every night was crazy and different, every moment was awesome!

It seemed like such a fitting way to say goodbye to College... even for the guy who didn't take classes spring term!


Graduation

Graduation was perfect. Really was. Wouldn't change a thing about it. It was perfect weather, great speakers, and a wonderful day of celebrating with friends and family. I remember dreading it so much, but when the day came, we all were just so happy about how we spent our four years that there was nothing you could so but smile.

That all came to a halt when I went back to my house and spent the next hour and a half packing up my car and emptying 519 College of all my belongings. I finding packing very stressful. Especially when I have my dad, step-mom, mom, and sister bugging me about which box goes where. Add that to the increasing realization that I had to be in Michigan the following morning at 10am, ready to train a staff of 40 17-25 year olds... and you get an antsy Mark.

Goodbyes were hard too. Sometimes words can't explain, or aren't needed, but I left that day thinking that there were some things I should have said to people, but didn't.

Then the Caravan was off! My car, Sydney's Car and Katie Markle's Car - all off to Oak Park for a 6 hour doze and then up the next morning to work at a Summer Camp.




Next up:
Mark Visits Seattle... Twice in a seven day period!


MOLSON OUT.

No comments:

Post a Comment