Monday, November 1, 2010

I need some answers.

I'm not sure whether I woke up, or arrived home, but when I realized I was at my childhood house, I could tell it was on fire. This was the house that my parents had lived in for twenty years, the house they had bought when it was small, and the house that they had renovated to make bigger. The house wasn't actually my house, because my house was never renovated, and it was actually situated in the neighborhood where my neighbors across the street had their house. I'm not completely sure that the location of the house really matters though.

Anyway, I arrived home, and realize that it was on fire. But, it wasn't a normal fire, because parts of the house were fine. Other parts though, specifically the parts that were near my parents bedroom, seemed to emanate a dull orange glow through the windows. Had to be flames.

I went in, searched around, and things got warmer and colder depending on where I was, but I never saw any flames. I was sure the place was on fire, and so I kept searching around. Then, I went outside to look around, and came across a gigantic stuffed animal crane game. I'm talking huge, like with stuffed animals larger than humans. I busted out a dollar bill, uncrinkled it, and put it in the machine. I went for the gem: the giant purple people eater stuffed animal. With one go, I missed. After failing, I decided to continue investigating the fire. But just think about that for a second, how badass would it be to play a stuffed animal crane game that yielded stuffed animals larger than humans?

I kept walking around the house (which had this giant stuffed animal crane game attached to the back) and decided I'd better call the fire department. I called them and then went inside to chill (non-pun?). Soon they came, and my dad went outside to talk to them. But, given that I had managed the investigation of the fire and the dispatching of the firefighters, I emerged from the house and quickly took the lead. This happened only after I had gone into the basement and done a little last minute investigation. The results were mind-blowing.

Right above the washing machine, I saw a spark. This spark was coming from a broken 4" PVC pipe that had a few wires coming out of it. I then realize: this was an electrical fire! We'd been fighting this fire intermittently with water, throwing it towards the dull orange glow, but never actually seeing flames. The floor of the basement was wet, the insulation above the sparking wires was smoldering. This was all happening around the brick chimney of the house that ran through to the roof. The fire was solely running through the insulation around the chimney. This was a slow-mover, for sure, but unless we stopped it the house would eventually be in ruins.

I investigated the wiring a bit more and realized something incredible. The wiring was specifically powering the washer/dryer in the house (which were peculiarly branded with the Facebook logo), AND (wait for it..), the gigantic stuffed animal crane machine! So, my question is, despite the fact that the circuit had clearly shorted and was causing my childhood home to burn down, how did the crane machine still work, initially giving me hope of winning, and then ultimately denying me the pleasure of having, my own giant one-eyed one-horned flying purple people eater stuffed animal?

11 comments:

  1. The facebook washer and dryer were powered by your dreams. When you did not win the purple people eater your dreams died along with the circut. So even though you found the short, the electricity had already stopped flowing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, the short had occurred before I even discovered the giant crane machine. Was that not clear?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or are you saying the giant crane was, in fact, powered by my dreams as well?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Crane was powered by your dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THE CLAWWWWW!!!!!
    Pretty sure the Toy Story aliens were just chillin in the background, powering the crane with their worship.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure how to break it to you so I'll just come out and say it...I'm pretty sure it means you're gay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How about this:

    Facebook, the social networking site, is a representation of your friendships, relationships, what have you.

    The fire represents a tumultuous event/estrangement in your future (which will occur between you and one of your closest friends, which we infer from the Facebook element).

    The fact that you search for the fire and its source, but cannot find it, means that you may have difficulty recognizing the source of the rift and will be clueless about how to fix it.

    In the mean time, you will unexpectedly find a new friend with whom you feel an immediate connection. This is the giant crane machine. Also, this new friendship may or may not be related to your conflict with your old friend.

    However, this new friend will turn out to not be more monstrous and purple than you initially perceived. This new relationship will end as suddenly as it began, just as the giant stuffed toy slipped from your claw's grasp.

    It remains up to you to determine whether you can put out the fire and salvage your relationship with your old friend.

    The fireman represents your subconscious desire to leave your straight life behind and elope with another man.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just for your information Theodore, per Wikipedia, the purple people eater is not a purple-colored eater of people, but rather an ambiguously colored eater of purple people.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WAIT. Tim, remember a few weeks ago when we stopped by that house of the alum with the boxes of free books in the front lawn? One of the books was a dream interpretation book. I'm going to look through it and see what your dream means!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Although my book also says the following:

    Wires – “denotes that you will make frequent but short journeys which will be to your disparagement.”

    Father – “to dream of your father, signifies that you are about to be involved in a difficulty, and you will need wise counsel if you extricate yourself therefrom”

    Fire – “to see a fireman in your dreams, signifies the constancy of your friends.”

    House – “to see your own home in a concerning state, warns you of the sickness or death of a relative.” “to see your home burning, denotes a loving companion, obedient children, and careful servants”

    Basement – “to dream that you are in a basement, foretells that you will see prosperous opportunities abating, and with them, pleasure will dwindle into trouble and care.”

    Pipe – “denotes unusual thought and prosperity
    in your community”


    So I dunno.

    ReplyDelete