Sunday, April 18, 2010

Throw Caution to the Wind: Spring Term 2010

It's spring term! I thought I'd share some of the great times we've had so far here at Carleton and keep you guys in the loop of the fun that is soon to come.

Let me say that its been great so far. I have a little more work than last year's spring term, but that's also because I took BS classes (except for Harry's class). So one of my classes is a lot of reading ALONG with a big ongoing research paper (25-pages) that is supposed to get us into the comps-mindset. It blows. But hopefully my comps will come out of this paper, which would make my fall next year so much easier. The important thing to remember as I do work is to "Throw Caution to the Wind," which is what Alfredo, Anna and I decided is the theme for Spring Term 2010 (Although Anna rarely complies).

The Synchro Show was first weekend. It was the weekend after my birthday, so I personally was still emotionally, physically and mentally recovering. But it was still quite fun. Except for that glass breaking and me having to change from drunken synchro member to head guard.

We haven't been back to Froggies, but thats mostly because Mia and Alfredo have been working on their Chem comps and have been too busy on Thursday nights. But Joe and I were just discussing how we will soon make our triumphant return to Froggies and start to take over Ole-Night.

Easter was the other weekend. Very fun times. I had to be sober for the first half, but I took great photos. I'll put them on the ol Facebook sometime soon.

Tim's been down on weekends and we've went to the bars a few times. It's been good times. They are still exciting for me. So has paying for alcohol at the liquor store - which I have been doing too much... $ does NOT grow on trees... well sometimes.

The swim team is involved in a record number IMs this term! Softball is obviously the biggest hit (no pun intended... okay it was intended). But we also have a Frisbee, Basketball team, and supposedly a beach volleyball team in the works. Our softball team name this year is "The Maize and Blue Balls," which is what we first tried to name the Bowling Club, but CSA rejected it because the Admission Office wants to put clubs on their website. [*** EDIT: This just in: we DO have a volley ball IM team. The name is "The Beached Whales" - how timely]

Speaking of Bowling Club, its going well! We keep expanding, and we actually have THREE non-swimmers, so we are a legit club now and we aren't embezzling. But some members of the budget committee are starting to question whether to keep funding us as we expand. I believe one member said, "Guys, aren't we just giving them money to go bowling for free?" That is exactly what they are doing and its awesome.

Last weekend was battle of the bands and a bunch of us did a power hour. But the real good times are ahead for students at Carleton:
This weekend: OleBall, we are starting at 2pm and going until we drop. 3 kegs, 2 taps. A few handles for the after party. and then Ebony/Sayles Dance at night (like we'll make it that far).
5th Weekend: Midterm break. Holla. Some burrito/crow's nest action is gonna occur. Maybe I'll find some more ancient money in a Scientology book like last year.
6th Weekend: Progressive (anyone got good ideas for themes?)
7th Weekend: Rotblatt (Switched Weekends with spring concert!!! I fear change...)
8th Weekend: Spring Concert. Brother Ali is headlining. Should be great.
9th Weekend: Superhero Party

Good times? I think so. So even though Stadium is not my home currently, I'm still workin hard to live in a way that embodies "life under the bleachers."

1 comment:

  1. I have an idea for the theme of the progressive: Bringing It Back: In which each stop is something that went out of style that needs to be brought back.

    Stop 1: DayGlow (something with UV blue or some color)
    Stop 2: Spandex:

    You get the idea.

    I think about these things a lot. I miss college.

    ReplyDelete