Saturday, January 16, 2010

LMFAO rips off MSTRKRFT?

So I was listening to some MSTRKRFT remixes on Sad Steve and in one of them I came across a beat that seemed very familiar. Take listen to the "Element of Danger" MSTRKRFT remix (2006) on Sad Steve and decide whether you think LMFAO's song "I'm in Miami" sounds like they just stripped down the beat added a few chirps and then rapped over it? This isn't really a horrible thing; there's been tons of sampling and recycling going on in hip-hop, rap, and electronic music for a long time. I think it just gets to the reason why I could never totally get into LMFAO. There's no originality; it's just catchy club beats with womanizing lyrics.

Anyway you should all check out MSTRKRFT on Sad Steve. I'm not a a huge fan of their original compositions (though "Heartbreaker" with John Legend is really good), but their remixes are generally original (not just the same song with a club beat) and catchy. The D.A.N.C.E. remix is great.

2 comments:

  1. "There's no originality; it's just catchy club beats with womanizing lyrics."

    Please Ted. Womanizing lyrics are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoy Heartbreaker. But I also love B.O.U.N.C.E.

    It's the bees knees. I like to play it and get down.

    ReplyDelete