Sunday, September 26, 2010

Senior Year WTF?

This is senior year? Really? I've actually been here for 3 years? This is what goes through my mind every morning. Then, I think: "What do I have to do today? Hmmm I have work, then one class, and then like 5 meetings. Oh, and I should work on one of my compses, maybe. Or drink. Hmmmmm."
So, what's new about this year? First, I'm living in basement Memorial, otherwise known as The Pit, and it's amazing. Our common room isn't quite as large as the Stadium common room (it's hard to tell), we only have a half kitchen, but my room is gargantuan, nearly as large as the triple I lived in last year. We threw our first party last night, a triple-kegger (yes that's right) and it was a major success. I did realize that the Stadium carpeting made throwing parties sooo much easier, but we had a mopping party today and our room is as clean as ever. We also live down the hall from a pool table and a foosball table.
Secondly, comps. So I'm double compsing this term and next term, meaning that I only have 2 classes and subsequently, no class on Friday. This is awesome in terms of scheduling, but I have not been doing enough to prep for my Russian test in 3 weeks (case in point: this post).
Third: I've joined the equestrian team! Which means that I have an hour-long horseback riding lesson every week and I'll probably do a show sometime. I am very likely the only male on the team, but there might be another one. I decided to join the equestrian team because I felt like a bad Kansan because I'm not very experienced with horses and because I would like to live in southern Siberia next year, where horseback riding is a very useful skill. Maybe not so much jumping, but still.
Fourth, the FLOOD! So it started raining sometime Tuesday night and continued raining moderately hard until Thursday night. On Thursday, the fields surrounding West had already flooded and the Lakes had risen substantially. By Friday, the river had grown beyond its banks and inundated the entire town. Stadium and West were islands in a very large lake. The football field/track are destroyed. Allen house (and those other ones next to it) had to be evacuated. Froggy's was damaged heavily and the fire department was flooded. This is the worst non-tornado natural disaster I've ever been in.
So yeah, that's a glimpse of what I've been up to. Life is busy, but I've done that intentionally because I want to get everything out of this year that I can.

2 comments:

  1. 1. How does Memorial compare to Stadium?
    2. Double comps...yuck
    3. What will you do in Siberia?
    4. Flood pics are crazy. Are you guys going to be able to train at West at the beginning of the season?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Memorial a lot, I'd say about as much as Stadium. Stadium had a full kitchen, carpet, and a huge lounge, but my room has awesome bedrooms, a great bathroom, and heated floors, as well as a huge lounge. It isn't as conveniently located in terms of travel to the pool, but Memo is in the middle of everything. I'm hoping to study tourism in border towns with Mongolia; basically, I want to see how the fact that many people have to travel through these towns to get to more sought after places has affected development and whether Mongolian tourism policies have an effect on Russian tourism policies. We're starting the season in Cowling. Should be pretty interesting...

    ReplyDelete