Wednesday, June 23, 2010

EARTHQUAKE!

Between game-winning goals in stoppage time and my building shaking I've gotten hardly a lick of work done today. And so I thought I'd come on here to waste some more time and tell ya'll about it.

The entire summer I spent at Stanford and the other various times I visited California I kept hoping to feel an earthquake (not a big one obviously--that would be scary--but a small one to see what it's like). Today I can finally cross that one of the list of random geological events that I've experienced in my life. But surprisingly, it happened in Rochester, NY, not in California.

The quake was 5.5 magnitude, centered just north of Ontario, Canada. This is probably not all that exciting to our Californian readers, but it was pretty exciting for me. I was on the 4th floor of our building, and I could see and feel the entire building shaking for a few seconds. After the quake I trekked over to the Geology building on campus and got a shot of the seismograph there.




Apparently there are some fault lines along lake Erie and Ontario, and earthquakes like this happen every couple decades. Learn something new every day.



Anyway, I should try to get something done now. Right now its looking like the Krauts in the next round. U.S.A! U.S.A!

1 comment:

  1. Nice Ted. It was probably better that you experienced it in New York and celebrated by blogging. Most people in California these days celebrate by rioting.

    ReplyDelete