Friday, September 11, 2009

A couple good albums

I just turned in my first quantum homework set. It was a beast.

With that done I thought I'd take a little free time on a post.

There were a few music posts this summer, so I thought I'd contribute with two albums that I've been listening two quite a bit over the last month.

The first is the album Manners by Passion Pit. I've got a feeling that they may be to 2010, what MGMT was to 2008. I mean this in the sense that MGMT's debut came out in 2007, then in 2008 they started gaining considerable popularity on college campuses. I could see the same thing happening with Passion Pit. There are some similarities musically between MGMT and PP also, but the other band that came to mind when I first heard them was Chromeo. They both seem to have the same 70's/80's pop sensibilities. That said, PP is quite unique from these bands as well.

The singles are: "Sleepyhead" and "Little Secrets." Little Secrets would be the better pre-gaming a party song, and I will say that this song should be played when I visit for the alumni meet. (I have my flight ticket now, so you can save your sharpies).

The other top album songs that won't be sinlges are: "The Reeling," "To Kingdom Come," and "Make Light."

The other album is Up From Below by Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros. iTunes says that they are a 10-piece band, and you can hear it in their sound. They're a little bit folksy, a little bit hippie-ish at times, and always pretty good.

The single are "40 Day Dream," and (probably) "Home." I listened to 40 Day Dream a few times before I realized that I was tapping along in 6/8 time. This prompted me to start looking through my music collection seeing how many other songs are written in 6/8 that I didn't realize. It wasn't all that rare, but this one may very well be my favorite.

The other top non-singles are: "Janglin," "Carries On," and "Up From Below."

On the subject of music. Just read a pretty funny review (if you can call it that) of the Beatles complete remastered collection last night.

3 comments:

  1. Someone played passion pit where I was last weekend. Immediately after, they played this video and now they are inextricably linked forever in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P-squared is da bomb diggity.
    I also HIGHLY enjoyed Toto's video...

    ReplyDelete