Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Some New Music

The Norwegian I lived with last summer spent about an hour a few days ago constantly sending me links and band names I would be interested in.  I trust him with music taste - he's always on the cutting edge of his listening and picks up new stuff before other people.  This stuff basically continues in the RJD2-LCD Soundsystem-MGMT-Ratatat-Justice-Hot Chip fusion that I was into towards the end of the term.  I guess a lot of people say "electronic" but I don't really feel like that captures the essence of a lot of this stuff - it's a lot more dynamic than plain "electronic" music.

First, I direct you all to Flying Lotus.  Perhaps the best of Flying Lotus is shown in his 2 hour epic "BBC Essential Mix".  Highly recommended - it's a seamless mix that integrates a bunch of sweet tracks - makes great background music at the very least.

Second, I direct you all to Quetzal. Classified as "Latin/Rock/Alternative" on myspace, but classified as "Funk" in my iTunes, I'm really not sure what you'd described it as.  Maybe all of the above?  Anyway, decent, chill tracks.  Just sit back and relax.

Third, we're going to move into the "dance" side of "electronic" with our good friend Calvin Harris as our guide, confidant, and chaperone.  Recommended tracks: "This Is The Industry", "Acceptable in the 80s", "Neon Rocks", and "The Girls".  Fresh beatz, yo.

Fourth, and perhaps most importantly, I direct you all to Nosaj Thing.  This shit is dynamic, funky, electronic - it's the god damned cat's pajamas.  I can't say much more.  Start with "1685" and explore from there.

Lastly, I would like to put in a plug for Yael Naim.  Her cover of Britney Spears' smash hit "Toxic" is perhaps one of the most skillfully rendered covers that I've heard.  It captures her own style, while almost mocking Britney at the same time.  Find it.


No comments:

Post a Comment