Wednesday, July 15, 2009

On an entirely different music note...

...(no pun intended).

Usually when I hear new music it takes me a few listens and then I generally think a few tunes on an album are pretty "dece".  Rarely, if ever, do I fall in love "at first sight".  However, with what I'm about to introduce you all to, that is exactly what happened.

So we all know Sufjan Stevens.  Over the past few weeks I've come to really appreciate his incredible talent - multiple instruments, incredible voice, thought-provoking and mind-blowing lyrics, etc etc etc.  And we all know a variety of popular hip-hop artists as well - guys we've listened to like Outkast, Grand Puba, Aesop Rock, and Blackalicious (Gift of Gab).  Enter in a little-known Montreal-based producer named Tor.  So pedestrian, in fact, that he doesn't even have a Wikipedia page to which I can link.

Yet, what Tor produces when he mixes said hip-hop artists with the musical genius that Sufjan embodies is something of the gods.  Illinoize is pure genius - so impressive a mix project that I, quite literally, fell in love immediately.  It just sounds so natural - "it's hard to imagine either track any other way".  Critics rave.

Best part? Download it for free. You can even get the lossless CD-quality Flac file format.  What more could you ask for?

1 comment:

  1. Tim. Thank you. This is awesome, very good find. We need to exchange music sometime in the future, eh?

    ReplyDelete