Thursday, July 2, 2009

My Summer as a Camp Counselor

My turn for a mid-summer "oh hello there, I still exist" blog post.

This summer I am working at a YMCA summer camp (or a "Cult Camp" if your name is Tim) in Western Michigan. After a week of orientation and two sessions, we take a week of for the week of July fourth. So until Saturday, I am back in the OP to relax with my HS friends, eat some delicious non-camp food, and rest up for what we call the marathon.

The marathon is 5 weeks straight with no extended break. Starting July 5th and going until August 10th. Yes, we do get some weekends off. But let me explain that a weekend off at camp only lasts from 5:00pm on Friday (when the last kid finally leaves and we have our staff meeting) to Sunday at 10:00am, when we have our start-of-the-session staff meeting. Not much of a weekend if you ask me (but when the kids are gone, the wonderful balance of mischief and relaxation is king). But the marathon is fun, and it when all the unorganized bullshit that exists in the beginning of the summer has been figured out.

It's been fun so far. I'm working with the teens this summer, so for the past two weeks, I was training 16 year olds how to be a counselor. In other words, what to do with kids who are homesick, vomiting profusely, or starting fights with other campers. But its a little more than that. There is a big child psychology aspect to it, which through teaching it to others, I have learned more about it myself.

One example is positivity. A child is less willing to respond to, "Don't leave that wet, sandy towel on the cabin floor." than to "Can you please pick up that towel off the cabin floor?" It may seem like a "duh" principle, but consider how often you say the words "no," "not," "stop," or "don't." It may surprise you. Try speaking in only positive terms for a day. If you are a lifeguard for example, say "Walk on the deck!" instead of "No running on the deck!" It's actually really tough. Or at least for me. I can never last more than an hour, but then again, I have to deal with kids who are doing stuff they aren't supposed to be doing practically my whole day.

I realize that my summer job is pretty untraditional. But I wouldn't have it any other way. I do more in the time from when I wake up (7:00am Michigan time) to when I go to bed (11ish) than many people do in a whole week. I also am outside for the whole day, except for when I am eating Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner, or sleeping. But thats not even true, I've been sleeping in a tent for the last 3 weeks. Being outside that much is good for the soul. And it means that I'm probably more tan than everyone except for our funemployed friend from Cali.

Elliot often told me last year that soon I will have to get a real job. That may not be the case... First off, for what I want to do with my life (teach), I don't really need an internship. And if the point of an internship is to get real-life experience in your field, being in charge of a dozen or so kids at a summer camp is fairly close to actual teaching. Plus, I'm climbing up the ladder at my camp. Some of the more administrative posts are opening up next summer, which opens up a new type of position and experience, to be sure. So maybe I'll just delay the real world for a few more years/summers. I know I get paid crap, but I don't really need the money at this time in my life and it's the most fun I've ever had.

That being said, every time "I Love You Always Forever," "Someone Great," "You've lost that Lovin Feeling," "Jumpin All Over the World," "White Collar Boy," Chromeo or The Go! Team comes on my iPod (thank you SadSteve), I get reminiscent of the past year and the epicness that was Stadium 110.

So I hope everyone reading this is doing well and that your summers are enjoyable.


Also, only a few will understand this: I brought Charlie to camp with me and I am carefully planning some big ol prank with him. So stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Sir,
    it has come to my attention that you want to be a teacher.
    Here is your warning: being positive like that during the school year is super hard. Godspeed.
    During the summer, though... Funemployment without the unemployment is just F?
    -Mr. Free-Ho

    ReplyDelete
  2. and without the 'fun' it's employment

    ReplyDelete