Wednesday, January 11, 2012

400 & 300!

400 & 300. What do these numbers MEAN?

Well. Let's start with the number 400. It's our 400th post! Pretty crazy stuff. We've come along way and I am really proud of us keeping it up for so long!

And then there is the number 300. I'm less excited about this one. Can anyone guess why the number 300 is significant today? Could it be the name of my favorite movie? Could it be the number of times I checked my email in the last week? Or is it the number of calories in the meal I just had?



No... to all of the above (especially not the favorite movie questions, and definitely not the food questions)! The number 300 is significant today because in 300 days, millions of Americans will be casting their votes for President of the United States (POTUS).

I remember election night 2008 vividly. I remember having to lifeguard, after not being able to convince Andy to cancel that lap swim. I remember not thinking anyone would come and deciding I would leave if no one showed up in 15 min. I remember not watching the only swimmer (a certain L. Knoche) but refreshing my computer every minutes in order to see the most up to date results. I remember coming home to Stadium and watching the rest of the results with you guys. I remember running to Sayles to eat free food and watch Obama's Victory Speech. I remember not going to that Obama Party in Evans because we had morning practice the next day. I remember the legitimate concern I had for the direction of the country leading up to that day and I remember the hope and optimism I felt in the days after that day.

It's been a LONG 3.5 years since that day. Have their been broken promises? I wouldn't go that far. But definitely unmet expectations. Granted, we had very high expectations. I actually believed that Obami (as my sister's fiance calls him) WOULD change Washington and politics in general. But he wasn't really even given the opportunity to do so because of the obstructionist and partisan Congress (read: republicans).
Link
Without too much thinking, I can list a few things that Obama has accomplished: prevented a huge depression, lifted federal stem cell ban, let me stay on my parents health care plan, made it so my bank HAD to ask me whether I wanted to activate overdraw fees on my debit card, ended the war in Iraq, said he wouldn't enforce DOMA and repealed DADT, and overall has been more transparent than any other administration in history. That's just off the top of my head (more here, but this one is the fun one).



On the other hand, he wimped out in the debt-ceiling debate of summer 2010, gave into republicans on various measures, has made some military decisions that sometimes make me wonder what someone with that power would do, and just overall hasn't been as aggressive as I would like him to be.

So... what now? If you asked me a few months ago, I would have answered, "I still support Obamaramadingdong and I'm not as upset as some people are. I'll vote for him in November."

But things have changed.


This fall in the woods, I read the news daily and followed politics, but wasn't as deep into the debates and stuff like I was in 2008. But then, when I was home in Oak Park for the Holidays (my 1 month semi-paid vacation), I found myself spending more time reading political blogs and articles, watching the news on TV, and talking with my friends and family about politics.

What did that do to me?

Well, it got me scared.

That's right. I am scared of the Republican Party. There, I said it. It feels good to share it. Mitt Romney, who has a fairly moderate track record as governor of MA, is looking like he will be the nominee and he doing the traditional "energize the base by moving to the right on issues during the primary until I lock up the nomination" shuffle. I think he'll head more to the center during the general campaign, but some stuff he's saying is just ridiculous and untruthful. WHICH IS SCARY BECAUSE HE CAN GET AWAY WITH IT. [I could go on about how crazy Romney and the other candidates are, but I think it would be a waste of time. All expect Huntsman are crazy, stupid, or evil.]

Our country has a LOT of problems right now. I want our country to progress and I really don't think we can do that under any of the current republican candidates for president (except maybe Huntsman). I can't imagine experiencing another 8 years of a conservative president. I really truly think that would be bad for America.

So now, instead of just "passively" voting for Obama this November, I'm actually going get involved. I think I'll donate $5 to Obama's campaign and I may even work on some voter registration/Get Out The Vote drives.

I can't let my country slide backwards.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent use of the jump, I like the profusion of links.

    I think Obama's biggest failure has really been allowing the Rebublicans to control the message too much. And everything he did should have been framed in economic terms. Part of the blame for this has to go to the DNC for not organizing the party's well message enough. When Republicans can successfully paint Obama as an extreme liberal while Democrats are complaining that too few of their big progressive goals are being met, then the Democrats must be doing at least two things wrong.

    As far as policy goes, I would agree that his failure to deliver on his Guantanamo promises and extension of Bush's questionable intelligence practices have been disappointing. But even on the debt deal, the democrats may not have actually gotten such a bad deal.

    I'm curious what you think about the Obama-Clinton ticket that's been floated by more than a few commenters. The Republican base may hate Hillary more than they do Obama, but she plays well with liberal and independent women, and has been more visible then Biden over the last few years. I kinda like it, but I wonder how the move would be perceived by others. Too much of a desperate ploy? I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think the campaign will help his approval ratings when he gets to start defending his policies more (esp. the PPACA (obamacare); Romney will look silly trying to debate him on it) in front of national audiences. But I wonder if it'll be enough and if he hasn't already turned too many potential voters off of politics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really actually liked Biden as a Candidate in 08. As VPOTUS, I've been unimpressed and frankly sometimes embarrassed. But it's not like the VP can DO much besides be the Prez's mouthpiece.

    As for Hil-dawg, I also "kinda like" the idea of her as running mate. But as one reporter said, "Hundreds are people are talking about it, but two important people are not: Hilary or Barrack." Reports say that it is not seriously being considered. Obviously, who knows if THOSE reports are true...

    ReplyDelete