Thursday, October 7, 2010

2010 Summer Music Mix

So this summer I started realizing that a lot of the indie shit that I was listening to had a similar surf-pop feel to it. I thought it would make for a good summer mix, so I started putting together a playlist. I decided to include only music which was released this year (by this I mean it was on an album or single released this year). I included a good amount of other stuff besides the surf-pop, if you're not feeling that. I wanted to post this earlier (looks like I starting writing it a few weeks ago), but didn't get around to it until now. But hey, you can enjoy summer music anytime, maybe even more so once the weather starts turning cooler.



  1. The Local Natives - Airplanes
    Probably one of my favorite songs this year. I love the boos turning into cheering when the drums come in at the beginning. I'd recommend the whole album, but check out "Who Knows Who Cares" also.

  2. The Drums - Let's Go Surfing
    Ethereal harmonies, a churning bass riff, a catchy whistling part (just for Mark).

  3. Sleigh Bells – Rill Rill
    This band has one of the more unique and interesting sounds I've heard in a while. One part electronic noise, something like Ratatat on Adderall and Steroids. One part dreamy, cheerleader-like vocals, oblivious to the former. Rill Rill is their most mellow and melodic song. For the more extreme dynamic, check out Tell 'Em. This isn't the kind of music I could listen to for a very long time, but taken in doses very enjoyable.

  4. Curren$y – Breakfast (In & Out)
    The epitome of a lazy Saturday. “Xbox web browser / Download a updated NBA roster / Play 82 game season / Condo full of snacks / Spitta not leavin.”

  5. Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings – Better Things
    Funk/Soul music that sounds like it was made in 1968. Hard to beat.

  6. Wavves – King of the Beach
    To me, this seems like what Nirvana might have sounded like if Curt Cobain had had a well-adjusted childhood in Southern California.

  7. Free Energy – Bang Pop
    This band kind of reminds me of Weezer. Not because their music sounds very similar, but because they have a knack for writing really catchy, guitar-driven pop songs.

  8. ceo – Come With Me
    Warm electronic music like only Swedes can make.

  9. Best Coast – Crazy For You
    Fuzzed out guitars and boy-crazy lyrics are Best Coast's M.O. But their songs are all catchy, and it works. (By the way

  10. Toro Y Moi – Leave Everywhere
    Continuing the West Coast/Surf pop theme. This single sounds a lot different than any other songs I've heard by Toro y Moi, it's also by far my favorite.

  11. The Budos Band – Unbroken, Unshaven
    Heavily influenced by the Afrobeat genre pioneered be Fela Kuti, the Budos Band makes some of the funkiest grooves around.

  12. Peter Wolf Crier – Crutch & Crane
    Even living in Rochester I still like to listen to The Current online sometimes because there are a lot of great artists in Minnesota that I might never hear otherwise. Peter Wolf Crier is one of those bands that I heard this summer and instantly liked.

  13. Surfer Blood – Floating Vibes
    Another surf pop song, I don't know what else to say. Listen to it, see if you like it.

  14. LCD Soundsystem – Home
    A good song to round out an album or a mix. Solid groove.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great list Ted.
    You should just make me a mix every few months and send it to me.

    ReplyDelete