Thursday, December 31, 2009

End Of The Decade Nostalgia

The end of 2009 is fast approaching and with it comes the end of this Decade, which I guess doesn't have a name yet. And because of this, the usual coundowns, top-ten lists, and reflections by important people are abundant in the media. I've been eating it all up. I love it. I'm a reflective person and I just can't get enough of it. I've been skipping the 2009 stuff for the most part - I'm all about looking at the decade as a whole.

It started when I read TIME's December 7th issue. It bashed the decade although it did have a small article titles something like "The Good Times from 00-09," which talked about mostly research breakthroughs.

After that, I kept going. Newsweek online had a TON of material, and it was in a cool looking layout, so I spent a good hour on that one day. There is list of most memorable quotes (like Cheney's "Go Fuck Yourself."), things that were unknown in 99, but standard now, most important cultural moments, and even predictions for 2010 (even though they have a whole section about the last decade called "Worst Predictions"). They also have essays - one describes how it would have been if Gore won.

And the other night Stephen Colbert interviewed Tom Brokaw, who called the decade the "Holy Shit" or the "Oh My God" Decade, "where everything was out of sync with what it had been before" and the old rules didn't apply. He also said that we took a lot for granted in the 90s, such as national security and financial negligence.

On a silly note, my friend sent me this list of "That Were Popular At The Beginning Of The Decade That Aren’t Popular Anymore." It's great.

And then if you haven't seen them, check out the 2009 JibJab Year in Review. They do one every year . I started looking at them in 2007 and I think that one is my favorite. But the 2008 one is worth checking out too.

I think I may be so interested in it, because I really came of age in the 00-09 years. Personally, my years as a 10-20 year old were more enjoyable and fullfilling than my years from brith to reaching double digits. But it's also wierd to look back and say that I developed my values, principles, and identity in a time of poor leadership, terrorism, war, partisanship, technology and information overload, and clashing cultural values.

And there is no use looking forward to the next decade, because the world is ending in 2012. (It's true, I saw it on the History Channel!)

Well, here's to living our last hours of 2009 to the fullest before closing that book for good. And here's to a fun New Years Eve! My good friend is throwing a party at his apartment downtown. The theme is "A Very Lumberjack New Years." It should be a slendid old time!

2 comments:

  1. I like this post. And the subsequent post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/27/opinion/27bios.html

    ReplyDelete